SIP Server

General discussion on VoIP and Internet Phone service.

SIP Server

Postby Cyberian75 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:18 am

Hello;

Do have a SIP sever on the West Coast? For "sip.axvoice.com" server, my ping time is around 90ms which would cause delays during calls.

If not, do you plan to add more servers in the near future?

Thanks.
Cyberian75

Postby Mr Ax » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:27 pm

We do not have a server on West coast right now but plan on adding new server on the West coast in a couple of months. Probably early next year. However we are setting up a new platform in NJ which would reduce your delays. Try pinging web2.axvoice.com and let us know if the delay is less than sip.axvoice.com. This should be up and running in 1-2 months.
Mr Ax

Postby Cyberian75 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:02 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I've got 110ms pinging web2.axvoice.com which is higher than sip.axvoice.com.

Oh well.
Cyberian75

Re: SIP Server

Postby loudawg » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:13 pm

Cyberian75 wrote:Hello;

Do have a SIP sever on the West Coast? For "sip.axvoice.com" server, my ping time is around 90ms which would cause delays during calls.

If not, do you plan to add more servers in the near future?

Thanks.

A 90ms ping is very acceptable in my opinion. My problem is that in the evening (last night for example) the ping averages around 210ms (well, for me at least...the daytime is around 90ms also). This, on the other hand, is unacceptable. I do hope we can get a server on the west coast as soon as possible, because my call quality is very quickly degrading. People can barely even understand me anymore...
loudawg

Postby loudawg » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:27 pm

Just as a follow up, I thought I would mention a couple of things. I tried pinging that web2.axvoice.com and although ping times maybe are ever so slightly slower (100 - 101 ms just now, while sip.axvoice.com was around 98), I did notice one even more important aspect. For some reason, the ping results to sip.axvoice.com seem to "lag," even though the times look pretty good. I did a 20 sequence ping last night and there was something like a 14% packet loss at least. Pinging web2 seems much more reliable...the ping results are quick, and no packet loss from my brief testing. Hopefully this one will be up soon. I'd definitely like to give it a shot!
loudawg

Postby loudawg » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:41 pm

I thought I would add another update as well as an apology. I have been experimenting with my call quality issues here and there when I have had a chance, and I have come to the conclusion that the problem is really with my specific connection. I tried some ping tests to sip.axvoice.com from work which is only a few miles from where I live. As of this writing, ping times are around 85-90ms, which is fantastic! My company is using SBC DSL I believe, whereas I'm using Adelphia cable (well, Time Warner as of recently). My ping times right now from my apartment are averaging around 250ms! Just as another reference, I did a ping test from a friend's computer who is in Hollywood (I'm in the San Diego area), but also uses Adelphia cable, and ping times from that system were also an excellent 90ms roughly. Therefore, I can only conclude that my provider has some issue somewhere in the path to axvoice from this area, or I have a problem with my router and/or cable modem. I will be doing more experiments soon to either eliminate or verify my hardware as being the issue.

I want to apologize for being quick to blame Axvoice for my latency problems, and also thank them for their efforts to improve my service by enabling G729 for my account, which, although works great as far as the codec is concerned, unfortunately does not solve my problem.

I will follow up with another update soon.
loudawg

Return to General Discussion